Friday, August 13, 2010

You've read the blog, now own the book!

If you've enjoyed the content here and on the other blogs that make up the Cinema Steve network, I would like to invite you to check out a book I've written. It'll be in stores on November 18, 2010.


"150 Movies You Should (Die Before You) See" has been in the works for some time, and it has plenty of stuff to entertain and amuse those who love watching bad movies (as well as those who love hating bad movies). While some of the movies you can read about here are also discussed in the book, the content between here and there are very different. Basically, the book contains different sorts of information about the films than what you find here. It's also a lot funnier.

You can pre-order 150 Movies You (Should Die Before You) See at a discount from Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com, and probably a number of other fine online book-sellers I'm not aware of. (And if you use the link at the bottom of this post, I'll get a little extra on top of the royalties the publisher pays me.)





I would also like to invite you to check out the little webpage I've set up for the book. You can watch a different bad movie there every month, and even leave recommendations/warnings about movies you've seen in the message forums. Click here to visit the "150 Movies You Should (Die Before You) See webpage".

5 comments:

  1. Nice one, Steve! I'll be picking up a copy. I look forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are ethical problems with what you are doing here, because you are profiting/making a book deal out of insulting these movies. If bad movies are significant enough to you for you to spend so much time writing about them, why not treat the creators of these movies with respect, even if it's the aspects of these films that are incompetent or unintentionally funny that make you enjoy them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, THE TOOTH FAIRY is awful, Steve. I gave that DVD away, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. C: Thanks for stopping by, reading, and commenting.

    That's an interesting viewpoint, and one I of course disagree with.

    As I say in the intro to the book, I have respect for the people who made the movies, because they have done something very, very difficult. They have actually managed to finish something as complex as a movie and gotten it in front of the public.

    That doesn't make the end results of that labor any better.

    For what it's worth, the book has a couple of chapters in it with movies that failed for reasons other than being bad, or that viewers might want to avoid for reasons other than the films being awful--such as the "Gory, Gorier, Goriest" chapter. There are, in fact, a number of movies in the book that I've written about in fairly glowing terms at Terror Titans and The Charles Band Collection.

    Unethical review practices is the fellow who collects paychecks from a periodical (which I haven't done for a number of years) who reviews sci-fi film after sci-fi film, horror movie after horror movie, and slams every one. He goes in EXPECTING to hate it, and he watches it anyway. Why? So he can slam the movie. I don't do that. In fact, I tend to AVOID films I suspect up front I'm not going to like, which is the main reason I still haven't watched "Tooth Fairy", even if I recently had it confirmed it's prime fodder for this blog.

    ReplyDelete