Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Tom Green sinks to abysmal lows in directorial debut

Freddy Got Fingered (2001)
Starring: Tom Green, Marisa Coughlan and Rip Torn
Director: Tom Green
Rating: One of Ten Stars

Wanna-be cartoonist Gordy (Green) lashes out at his tough-as-nails father by falsely accusing him of molesting his younger brother (Thomas).

Writing that teaser summary just made me realize this film is even less funny than I first thought.

My guess is that if you LOVED "The Tom Green Show" you'll find something to like "In Freddy Got Fingered." If you were a casual viewer like me, you'll probably be alternatively grossed out and amazed by what unfolds on the screen. And not amazed in a good way. Amazed that someone actually inflicted this movie on the pubic. This is undoubtedly one of the most disgusting films ever made... Green is trying to top the TV show here, and he succeeds. It's too bad that he also succeeds in being completely unfunny.


I like gross-out humor as much as the next guy who never truly grew up, and I generally applaud humor that goes out of its way to be "offensive" and "non-senstive," but Christ! This movie is too much even for me!

The very generous One-Star rating I'm giving this movie is for the character of a wheelchair-bound rocket scientist (Coughlan) with whom Gordy falls in love, as the character and the story surrounding her is actually pretty funny; and for Rip Torn's funny performance as Gordy's no-nonsense, ever-suffering father.

No comments:

Post a Comment